Monday, March 4, 2013

February 18, 2013


Dear Family and Friends,

Well, this week was pretty good. I just got over a cold so that was a nice trial this week. We have been having lots and lots of meetings lately. Thursday I went to a trainer/trainee meeting. That was pretty neat. We have been having some pretty good success lately. And the ward really loves us! We have been getting fed so well!
 
Ernest T. Bass
So Mom, you asked about any Ernest T. Bass (from the Andy Griffith Show) experiences. Well, in this area, like I have said before, there are quite rustic folk. I love them! Some members said they were going to feed us raccoon Wednesday. I got pretty excited. We came to their cabin in the backwoods, but they fed us biscuits and gravy and some really good grits. Then suddenly in the middle of dinner, their cousin, who lives right close to the family, came over. Everyone is related to each other here in this ward. So he came in and he had a rifle in hand and a raccoon in a cage. They told me they are going to skin it and give it to me! Hahahaha oh man! I love rustic backwoodsmen! So Mom, you might be getting a raccoon in the mail. Hahaha! I love the that family! Liver mush is another food we get a lot, and of course LOTS of biscuits and fried chicken!

So I have been working really hard to be the best I can be so I can have the Holy Ghost with me always. Before a lesson yesterday, I decided to get down on my knees and pray. I had much of the same experience as Joseph Smith in JS-H 1:29 but instead of seeing a heavenly messenger, I felt a very warm feeling come over me. I prayed to know what to teach. The answer rang in my head to read from the Introduction of the Book of Mormon. We went to dinner and the family we taught is the best family ever! The family is very active in the church but the husband is not a member and missionaries have tried for many years to get him to join the church. So after a great meal we went to the living room to have a lesson. I was very nervous about this tender situation, and so I prayed mightily in my heart to be endowed with power and have help in softening his heart. We began to teach and began to talk about the Book of Mormon. We each read a paragraph and explained and internalized it together. All the time I was speaking to the family rather than just him. I believe that all men must read the Book of Mormon and test to know if it is true or not, even if we have read it 7 times before. We continued to the last two paragraphs that tell us what we must do to find an answer. We must read it, ponder it in our heart, and then ask God in the name of Christ if it is true. We can know and gain a testimony of its truthfulness by the power of the Holy Ghost. When we know that the Book of Mormon is true, we then know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is his authorized servant and Prophet in these days, and that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom on the earth.

The Holy Ghost prompted me and these words came out, "Myself and Elder Call ask you, standing as witnesses and with God as a witness, will you read from the Book of Mormon every day?" I was overwhelmed and almost in tears seeing the eyes of those in the room. Each of them committed and we committed to read as well. It was a very sacred and humbling experience to be a worthy conduit of the converting power of the Holy Ghost.

The Spirit then directed me to leave the Savior’s peace and blessing with the family. The Spirit was so strong the room felt like it was on fire. It is such a feeling that can’t be explained. But I bear my solemn testimony that I know the Book of Mormon is true! That the Holy Ghost does testify of its truthfulness and that Jesus is the Christ! In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Love,
Elder Gomm

No comments:

Post a Comment