Monday, January 21, 2013

January 21, 2013

Dear Family and Friends,

Wow this week has been great! My mission is starting to come alive! So many miracles are coming to pass! We have been doing a special thing with people at their door, as a new way for people to experience the gospel; it is called the Savior’s Peace and Blessing. The whole mission is doing it and a few other missions as well are doing it. This is not a new thing however; we find it in the scriptures both in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. It is what the Lord’s authorized servants did since Adam.

Alma 10: 5-11 please read the testimony of Amulek of witnessing first hand the power of God through, the missionary Alma.

5 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.
 6 Nevertheless, I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart, even until the fourth day of this seventh month, which is in the tenth year of the reign of the judges.
 7 As I was journeying to see a very near kindred, behold an angel of the Lord appeared unto me and said: Amulek, return to thine own house, for thou shalt feed a prophet of the Lord; yea, a holy man, who is a chosen man of God; for he has fasted many days because of the sins of this people, and he is an hungered, and thou shalt receive him into thy house and feed him, and he shall bless thee and thy house; and the blessing of the Lord shall rest upon thee and thy house.
 8 And it came to pass that I obeyed the voice of the angel, and returned towards my house. And as I was going thither I found the man whom the angel said unto me: Thou shalt receive into thy house—and behold it was this same man who has been speaking unto you concerning the things of God.
 9 And the angel said unto me he is a man; wherefore I know he is a holy man because it was said by an angel of God.
 10 And again, I know that the things whereof he hath testified are true; for behold I say unto you, that as the Lord liveth, even so has he sent his angel to make these things manifest unto me; and this he has done while this Alma hath dwelt at my house.
 11 For behold, he hath blessed mine house, he hath blessed me, and my women, and my children, and my father and my kinsfolk; yea, even all my kindred hath he blessed, and the blessing of the Lord hath rested upon us according to the words which he spake.

We introduce ourselves as representatives of Jesus Christ, and state that we would like to leave the Savior's Peace and Blessing upon their home. We then take the names of family friends and kin of that person and kneel down and offer a blessing. It is not just a prayer; it is a blessing using the priesthood authority of God. This creates a spiritual environment where the person can feel the Spirit testify of the truths that we share.

This is not all we have been doing. We have been sharing this sacred blessing with members of the church after we eat in their home.

Saturday we knelt down in a home and offered the Savior’s Peace and Blessing and I felt that I should give it. I haven’t given too many of these so I was a bit nervous and doubted myself. I knew however that this family needed this blessing and that I shouldn’t have such selfish thoughts as to limit the power of God through me. I chased those thoughts of doubts away and cleared my mind. I paused for a little bit and then began to speak. I do not remember many of the words I spoke, but I do know that it was a simple blessing. However, I testify that the Holy Ghost was putting the words I needed to say into my mouth because the Spirit was so strong in the room. I began to be warm all over, and felt as though my clothes would catch fire. I finished the blessing and we all continued to kneel not saying anything, marveling in our minds about what had just taken place. I opened my eyes and looked up to see everyone in tears and the head of the house was staring at me. After a few more moments of silence, in a whisper I asked what thoughts and feelings did they feel as we left this blessing upon their home. The head of the house, without hesitation, told me that it was as if the Savior himself was there during the blessing and that His arms were encircling us. We all marveled again together in silence. Then I asked the others and they said that the room felt crowded. That was interesting because the wife works on family history. All in all it was a miraculous experience, and I testify that I know that the Priesthood is real and that men can once again, just like in times of old, call down the powers of Heaven and bless mankind.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers and letters. They truly help me!

Love, Elder Gomm

No comments:

Post a Comment