Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 14, 2013


Dear Family and Friends,

Life is great here on the mission. The other day I was reading in The Book of Mormon about the missionary Ammon (Alma chapter 17). Ammon, a Nephite, leaves to go and preach to the neighboring civilization of Lamanites. Traditionally, the Lamanites were unfriendly towards the Nephites, so Ammon knew he was entering hostile territory. Soon after arriving in the land, he was captured and brought before the Lamanite king.

The king asked Ammon “if it were his desire to dwell in the land among the Lamanites...” Ammon relied yes, “I desire to dwell among this people for a time…perhaps until the day I die.” I really relate with how Ammon felt towards the people. Of course, the people here aren’t hostile, (haha!) but I would truly be happy serving in this area for the rest of my mission. I love it here so much!!! I really love the people!!! The Southern country folk are really wonderful—I love being around them. I am starting to catch a slight drawl. Sometimes I even have dreams where everyone around me is good old country folk. It’s awesome!

George, we got to roast s’mores!!! Thanks for the s’mores fixings. We went over to a family's house (they have a pond) and had a campfire. They have seven kids and huge dog. It is like “The Beast” from The Sandlot. It was a lot of fun!!  

This last week flew by really fast! There were exchanges, interviews, meetings… you name it! The work is going really well though. My companion and I, along with the other Elders serving in this ward, are planning on visiting every single person in the ward. I think we will find a lot of success and bless a lot of lives. The ward is great and they seem to be catching the spirit of missionary work. They are starting to feed us more than just once a week—that is really nice. We did go “finding” in some country areas and we walked down this big driveway and saw the coolest house! There was a rustic old barn with a gazebo on a lake and a spectacular view. After we taught the owner, he invited us to go fishing on his pond! It was fantastic! This week we also met a really great lady who we hope to teach soon. Things are looking up, the work is starting to progress and I am glad!

Well, I love y’all and will write to y’all soon. I am almost done replying to all my letters so bear with me.

Also, my mormon.org profile is almost up-to-date, so check that out. Let me know if any of you create a profile, then I can look y’all up.

url: mormon.org/me/9gzk     or search mormon.org/gomm

Love Elder Gomm
  
Good luck with the baby, Jess!!!!!
Thanks for the package!

No comments:

Post a Comment