Monday, February 4, 2013

February 4, 2013


Dear Family and Friends,

This last week has been awesome!!! I am training a new missionary, his name is Elder Call. He is a fantastic missionary and well trained from the MTC. He hit the ground running here. It doesn't even really feel like I have to train him. He is 19, for everyone who was wondering, but he did come out with a few 18 year old's. The group he came out with had 28 new missionaries!!! That was record breaking for this mission and next transfer will be double that!

I still really love this area. I am becoming a true southerner. My companion said I do have a pretty good drawl.

We are having a special surprise this week. Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles will be coming to our mission. We will get to hear from him Saturday and each of us will get to shake his hand and get to meet him. I am pretty excited.

This week I have been studying really hard. I have been studying the simple and basic doctrines that we teach, such as the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It has been really paying off. I have been exactly obedient to every little rule and commandment that we as missionaries have to live by and it has really been paying off.

Yesterday we taught an investigator that is really looking for a better path and to just feel loved. We shared the Restoration of the Gospel. We followed all of the guidelines of Preach My Gospel, and taught with power! Usually it is hard for me to get across what I try to say, or I stutter. I am not a great speaker at all but something miraculous happened to me. I became as one of the Sons of Mosiah, who we can read about in The Book of Mormon.

“Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.


I shared with her Joseph Smith’s experience. She said that she felt kind of creeped out. Perplexed at her statement I asked her what she meant and what she was feeling. She told me that when I said, “God told Joseph Smith to join none of the churches, and that they were all wrong,” that she felt this warm feeling come over her. She also said that she felt really happy and that she got chills and that she felt full of love. We used the Bible and helped her recognize that what she was feeling was the Holy Ghost testifying of truth. She agreed.

It was an amazing thing to watch the Holy Ghost give me the words to say and to speak through me and be an instrument of God. I also watched as the Holy Ghost testified to someone who is looking for the truth. I testify, in the name of Christ, that I know with all the surety of my soul that the gospel of Jesus Christ, and His one Faith, has been restored by Jesus Christ, through his Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith. I know that he saw God, and He saw Jesus Christ. And this I know and testify of in Christ's Holy name. Amen.

Love y’all,
Elder Gomm

Congrats to Jess and Steve on their new baby. What an honor and privilege it is to have a sacred spirit straight from the presence of our Heavenly Father to them. What a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment